CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD -- CLERGY

The growth and expansion of the Church of the Good Shepherd owes a great deal to the clergy from other parishes, as well as to the priests who came from England to tend to this Mission Church. We are lacking pictures and biographies of a number of these clergy (see the pictures and short biographies of some of our clergy below), but have listed as many as we could find in any notes at the Provincial Archives. The following list is as near complete as we could get. 

1910 -- G.W. Jones – Lay reader in charge

Oct 1910 - April 1911 – Rev. Olsen Creighton – 1st priest in charge

May 1911 - April 12, 1912 – Rev. C.H. Bailey

January 1913 - 1915 – Rev. A.E. Blood

January 7, 1915 - November 1915 – Rev. M. Whittaker

November 26, 1915 - 1916 – Rev. T.S. Evans

1916 - 1918 – Rev. F.S. Mercer

1918 – Rev. T.W. Scott

1918 – Church closed due to war

April 1919 – Church Re-opened

July 13, 1919 – Rev. M. Allwork

February 1922 – Rev. W.B. Fainham

January 8, 1923 – Rev. S.F. Tackaberry

1924 - 1926 – Rev. Leversidge

1927 – Rev. S.F. Tackaberry – returns

1936 - 1940 – Mr. W. Baker – Lay reader in charge

May 1941 – Rev. R.S. Faulks – Priest at St. Peter’s, with Good Shepherd as Mission Parish

April 1950 - September 1951 – Rev. G.W. Wilson

September 1951 - March 1954 – Rev. Arthur Venables

May 1955 – Rev. Roger Maggs

1957 – Rev. T.W. Maxwell – 1st Minister of our own

1961 – Rev. R.H. Calderwood

August 1968 - March 1970 – Rev. R.A. Fairhead

June 1, 1970 - December 1979 – Rev. John (Jack) Barford

March 1980-November 1996 – Rev. Ted Clarke

November 1996 – April 2005 - Rev. Anne Wightman

May 2005 - December 2005 - Rev. Joseph Walker (Priest-in-Charge)

December 2005 - September 2008 - Rev. Lee Bezanson

September 2008 - present - Rev. Canon Maureen Crerar

 

 

Ven. Archdeacon S.F. Tackaberry, was secretary-treasurer of The Anglican Diocese of Edmonton in 1938, prior to which he was rector of St. Peter’s Church for five years. He was born in Leeds country, Ontario, in 1886; educated at public and high schools in Athens, Ontario; Toronto University, and Trinity College; graduated in theology and ordained in 1913; took master’s degree in arts at University of Alberta, 1924. He came to Edmonton in 1921, after seven years in Ontario parishes, and served as missionary at Jasper Place, Calder, and Stony Plain; appointed rector of St. Peter’s in 1924, leaving that parish to take appointment to his appointment at the Good Shepherd Church. He was made a canon in 1938 and Archdeacon for South Edmonton in April of 1940.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

 

 

 

 

Venerable R.A. Faulks served the Church of the Good Shepherd from 1941 – 1950. He was born in London, England and came to western Canada when he was only three. He graduated from the Anglican Theological College in Vancouver, BC. Ordained in Christ Church, Edmonton, he first served at Barrhead, for three years, Clandonald for four years, before re-turning to Edmonton to share the next nine and a half years with the congregations of St. Peter’s andGood Shepherd. From 1950-1963 Venerable Faulks was priest at Central Park, Burnaby, B.C. For the next eleven years he served the parish of Powell River, B.C. He retired in 1974.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reverend A. P. Venables (no picture available) The Church of the Good Shepherd was fortunate in sharing (with Vegreville and St. James, Edmonton) the services of Reverend A. P. Venables. Ordained in 1950, in Edmonton, he went first to the Church of St. Joseph in Vancouver for his first year in the priesthood. From 1950 to 1954 he served at the aforementioned places as well as our church. In 1954 he returned to England.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

Archdeacon Venerable G.W. Wilson (no picture available) A graduate from Emmanuel College, Saskatoon, incumbent of many Edmonton Churches. Venerable G.W. Wilson from 1947 to 1963 frequently presided over the services at the Good Shepherd Church.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

Reverend R. J. Maggs - In the same year that he was ordained, Reverend Maggs was the priest for the Church of Good Shepherd. He graduated from the University of Alberta, then Emmanuel College, Saskatoon in 1955. He was incumbent for one year, then went on to serve St. Philip’s from 1956-1963. From there he moved to parishes in Langley, Port Coquitlam, B.C., and on to Mississauga, Ontario.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reverend T. W. Maxwell – our first resident minister began his ministry at the Church of the Good Shepherd, 1957. For the next five years he guided our parish and helped to organize an Anglican congregation in St. Albert. A graduate of University of Alberta and St. Chad’s College, Regina, he left this Church to continue his studies at Trinity College, Toronto, then on to become curate of Grace Church, 1964-65, and Rector of Transcona, 1965-70, and then was Rector of St. Barnabus Anglican Church in Pierrefonds, Quebec and then moved back to Edmonton, to St. Paul’s Anglican Church

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reverend R. H. Calderwood – was a graduate of the University of Lenox, Lenoxville, Quebec. Reverend Calderwood came to this parish after ordination in 1958 and incumbencies at Niagara, St. Catherines and Sedgewick, Alberta. He served the Good Shepherd from 1962 to 1968, along with St. Chad’s from 1967 on. From here he went to St. Martins-in-the-Fields, Winnipeg, 1968-1971. He was incumbent at St. Alban’s Winnipeg, 1971-1973, and became assistant to the Bishop of Rupert’s Land in 1973. He than became the Secretary-Treasurer of the Diocese of Brandon, Manitoba.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reverend R. A. Fairhead – our parish was guided from July 1968 – May 1970 by the Reverend R. A. Fairhead who graduated from Wycliffe College, Toronto, in that year. During that time he also served the parish of St. Matthews, St. Albert and then became the incumbent at Humboldt, Saskatchewan.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

 

 

 

Reverend J. C. Barford – was born in 1908 in the city of Edmonton. His father was organist and choirmaster at All Saint’s Cathedral for more than 55 years. Reverend Barford’s was ordained in 1970. He was chaplain of the 111th and 112th Scout Groups as well as official Chaplain of the R.C.M.P. Veterans’ Association, "K" Division. He served the parishes of Good Shepherd , Edmonton, and St. Matthew’s, St. Albert. He graduated from Emmanuel College, Saskatoon. He retired from Good Shepherd 1980 at the age of 72 years. He has since passed away.

Edited from Good Shepherd 65th Anniversary Book

 

 

 

 

Very Rev. E.W. (Ted) Clarke- was born and raised in Calgary. He received his schooling there and attended 1st year of university. Ted attended St. Barnabas Anglican Church in Calgary. When he had finished his first year of university in Accounting, he knew it wasn’t for him, but God had other plans for him. He then attended Emmanuel College in Saskatoon. Six years later, he was ordained Deacon on May 29, 1962. On March 6, 1963 he was ordained to the Priesthood. His first parish was a five-point parish called Southern Alberta Mission. The parish consisted of Bow Island, Foremost, Coutts, Warner and Aden. In 1966 he went to Vulcan, Carmangay, and Lomond and in a team ministry was joined with Claresholm and Nanton in 1968. In 1971 he did interim work in High River, St. Laurence and St. Andrews in Calgary. He remained with St. Andrews until 1980. He came to the Good Shepherd in 1980. In 1996 he left Good Shepherd and moved to Timmins, Ontario. He was the Dean of the Diocese at St. Matthews Cathedral.

 

 

 

Rev. Anne Q. Wightman – was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1939 and became a Canadian citizen in 1976. She has received her B.A. from Wittenberg University; her M.A. from Kent State University; and her Masters of Divinity from Newman Theological College. She has served in the parishes of St. Augustine’s, Edmonton, St. Andrew’s, Camrose, and St. Thomas, Sherwood Park before coming to the Good Shepherd. Anne has served among the people of the Good Shepherd from November, 1996 until her retirement in April of 2005.

 

 

 

 

 

The Rev. Diane L. Reid - was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1942.  Moved to Alberta in 1975 and became a members of St. George's Anglican Church in Devon.   For twenty years she was pianist/organist, Lay Reader, Secretary, and Lay Minister.  She completed a diploma (A.Th.) course from Thornloe University in 1994.  In January 1996, she came to The Church of the Good Shepherd, and in December, 1996 became the Lay Assistant.  On the eve of the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels, she was ordained to the Vocational Diaconate and was the Vocation Deacon at Good Shepherd until her untimely death on August 30, 2007.

 

 

 

 

 
The Rev. Joseph Walker -  was born in Edmonton, but spent a number of years Nova Scotia, where, among other things,  met his future wife Alisa (also a native Edmontonian) and he attended King's College and Dalhousie University.  He also did graduate work in theology at Wyclliffe College, University of Toronto.  Joseph and Alisa have three children - Emily, Sarah and Adam.  Joseph has been involved in Anglican Campus Ministry at the University of Alberta since 1998.   He has also served in various parishes in the diocese, assisting (as he puts it)  "like a utility infielder".  He was appointed Interim Priest In-Charge of Good Shepherd in May of 2005.  He is a fan of jazz guitar, back country skiing, and billiards.  During the time he served as Rector of St. timothy's Anglican Church in Edmonton, Father Joe passed away on August 10, 2011 after a brief struggle with cancer. 

 

 

 

 

The Rev. Lee Bezanson was ordained in 1981 in the Diocese of Kootenay and spent the first three years of his ministry in Sparwood and Nelson, B.C. In 1984 he applied and was endorsed for ministry as a chaplain to the Canadian Armed Forces. During the course of his military career Lee served at CFB Calgary, CFB Lahr (in the former West Germany), CFB Esquimalt, CFB Edmonton,4 wing Cold Lake, and ended twenty years of service back in Edmonton serving as Area Chaplain at Land Force Western Area Headquarters.  He became the Rector of Good Shepherd in December, 2005 and then upon leaving the Good Shepherd, he became the Rector of the Cathedral in Edmonton as well as the Dean of the Diocese of Edmonton on September 28, 2008.   

During his military career the Rev. Bezanson saw overseas service in support of peacekeeping operations in Haiti, Bosnia and Eritrea.

The Rev. Bezanson has a wide variety of interests ranging from horseback riding, blackpowder shooting, reading, cycling and being a voracious movie-goer (which has been known to influence his Sunday sermons).

Married to Bernadine, a source of inspiration, support and great patience, the Bezansons have been blessed with two wonderful children, Matthew and  Tarah (and Brian) and a granddaughter Aby.

 

The Rev. Canon Maureen Crerar was inducted as Rector of Good Shepherd on November 23, 2008 after servicing as Interim Priest since September 1, 2008. (More to come)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Return to History & Anniversary Information Page

Return to Web Directory Page